Thursday 16 February 2023

Graphic Novel Review - 'Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral' by Kelly Thompson (Writer), Various Artists

I enjoyed this comic volume sequel. I liked it enough that I might actually read the rest of the 'Jem and the Holograms' reboot series, and fully make up my mind from there. The series isn't very long anyway, thank goodness, and it'll be my first in completing a graphic novel series that does have a conclusion and runs for more than two collected volumes. An added bonus and incentive to this is that it's all written by Kelly Thompson (barring 'Dimensions'), one of my favourite comic book writers.

'Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral', on its own, is very entertaining. It's colourful and fun, with plenty of character and relationship drama. It's surprisingly sweet and cute, too. I love the 'Annual 2015' issue at the beginning, and the 'Holiday Special' at the end. It took me a while to get used to the different artists for each issue, but the energy and atmosphere are carefully consistent and intact. The characters are unforgettable, a solid bunch, with some needed nuance, revelations, and development to them. Same goes for the references, themes and drama.

Kimber and Stormer, star-crossed lovers from rival bands, are adorable individually and together. Kimber's love of sharks (as well as onesies in general) reminds me of the titular star of 'Nimona'. Jerrica and Rio are growing on me. Unfortunately I still don't care much for the love lives of Aja and Shana - it's their talents, aspirations and banter that interest me. Pizzazz shows a great, heartwarming amount of depth. Clash and Blaze don't appear, except maybe for one panel. Boo. And who the heck are Elise Harcourt and Greta?

This is also the volume that introduces Eric Raymond. Little that he actually appears, he makes as much of an impact as the rest of the cast; he demands your attention. Additionally, I'm fond of Techrat. The male characters are few and far between, but they are given as much care and attention as the abundant, loud and flourishing female queens of 'Jem'.

Last noteworthy detail: Jetta says "wanker" a lot. It's awesome she doesn't skimp on the British slang and phrases to go with her dry, deadpan, fed-up type of British humour (she says "bollocks", as well). Though I do wonder if Thompson knows that "wanker" is close to the most extreme swearwords (not to mention the sexual connotations) in England, and wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for younger YA audiences. I mean, over here we can barely get away with saying "bugger" in adverts (commercials for you yank(er)s) on comedy channels on primetime night television.

I'll see this version of 'Jem and the Holograms' through to the end, and then maybe give my final thoughts. In the meantime, things look to be taking a darker turn, and I am here for it!

Link here to my review of 'Jem and the Holograms: Showtime'.

Final Score: 3.5/5

EDIT: I have now read every trade paperback comic that has to do with the 'Jem and the Holograms' reboot. While I enjoyed some of it - I especially like 'The Misfits' volume - overall I was unfortunately underwhelmed and disappointed. Characters and arcs get forgotten about or pushed aside, as is sadly typical of long-running comic series' like these. It all "ends", in the fifth volume and in 'Infinite', on non-climaxes that are not so much "truly outrageous" as they are "eh". As of writing, the series is, in fact, incomplete, and I am not satisfied. I will keep the first cute, colourful and endearing volume, though, and will continue to praise the series for its diversity, if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment