Tuesday 15 February 2022

Book Review - 'Not My Problem' by Ciara Smyth

'Not My Problem' is a YA novel about modern teenage lives. It is an often harrowing and devastating reflection of reality, viewed through the lens of the disgracefully disadvantaged youth of today (post-millennials?) who have been left to shoulder the burdens and responsibilities of the mistakes made by the older generations. They often have no choice - the old, the out of touch, the complicit and the lazy are not going to bother doing a whole lot immediately; they don't care much about the future survival of the earth and the human race, which will definitely affect the young. Yet the blame and hardship - the pressure to be the adults here and actively do something - is placed entirely on them. That is fucked up. Generational trauma and the evils of capitalism gone too far are linked.

'Not My Problem' - a scarily fitting title in this context if ever I saw one - is also one of the funniest books I have ever read. There are copious examples of witty dialogue, clever and original innuendo, and hijinks and antics that wouldn't be out of place in a sitcom. Some scenarios - or just plain character actions and reactions - even make me think that 'Not My Problem' could work as an anime. A high school comedy anime. That's set in Ireland.

Aideen Cleary is sixteen and hilarious. What I wouldn't do to possess even an iota of her wit! This is her coming-of-age story. A struggling and suffering underachiever, she uses her humour to hide her insecurities and problems at home, where she lives impoverished, with an alcoholic mother whom she feels she constantly has to protect and keep an eye on, to avoid social services knocking on her door. It's frightening how much I felt for her.

But Aideen finds she has a knack for fixing the problems and lives of other kids in her school, and seeing as she is a genuinely caring and sympathetic person underneath her snark, she lets this service or "business" continue, in exchange for little favours owed her, instead of money.

Aideen's own life is in desperate need of help. Numerous problems include her flunking every subject at school, and bunking off classes altogether - mainly PE, by way of excuse notes citing any disease that'd popped into her head that day. Plus her best (and "only") friend Holly is drifting away from her, and taking her for granted and being thoughtless and careless. Her dad is absent, and a rich parasite and creep who has been married to another woman since before Aideen was conceived. Then there's her aforementioned alcoholic mother, who is a liability on her poor child. But Aideen is afraid to ask for help. Both she and her mother show signs of depression, and need guidance. She keeps trying to rationalise the unfairness put upon her, almost gaslighting herself into thinking that her problems are not that bad and that she must be imagining some of them a lot of the time. But she's just a child, and no one should have to put up with that kind of herculean pressure alone.

Aideen, as well as being an Irish comedienne in the making, is a multilayered, soft, vulnerable yet determined, and deeply human protagonist. Oh, and she's gay (she's already out, and it is assuredly not one of her problems. Brilliant). I would certainly not object to fellow readers calling her a new YA heroine icon.

On the other side of the coin is Maebh Kowalska, the super smart and hardworking principal's daughter (of course she is). Despite her objectively being a good person - a passionate social activist who cares intensely about every issue under the sun and who would make a great world leader someday - she has no friends. Other kids find her annoying, haughty, condescending and bossy, including Aideen.

I agree with Maebh on almost every socioeconomic, political and feminist issue she unapologetically voices at every opportunity, and oh how she cares!; she's just not very approachable. She is kind of snobby, stern, demanding, and believes herself to be superior to everyone else. She overworks herself to an insane degree. It's hard for me not to like her and feel sorry for her, for she does want to be liked and, most importantly, listened to. But people can be terrible and stupid, as she points out. You can't blame her for being angry and stressed out. Someone has to care about the state of our planet right now!

Maebh also ends up being Aideen's most unexpected love interest ever (she's out, too, and it's not a problem, too; hell, there's no queer angst at all in 'Not My Problem', and there are other out gay and bisexual characters). However, the romance element of the book is kept at a minimum, allowed to develop gradually and realistically, in comparison to everything else going on in Aideen's chaotic, troubling life. A romantic partner is not what she needs to fix all of her problems - what a fucking refreshing message to see in a YA book aimed at teenage girls!

It is friendship, support, respect and trust that are the key themes presented in 'Not my Problem'.

And the happy third wheel of the trinity, as it were, is Kavi Thakrar. He is a tall and cute Indian-Irish boy who quite literally pops up comically out of nowhere every time something "wacky" (read: dangerous) happens in the book. He immediately inserts himself as Aideen's friend and partner in her "business" of doing schoolkids favours; he practically invented it for her. He is such a hilarious bundle of joy; you never know what he is going to say and do next. He is the most like an anime character out of the cast. Providing the comic relief, but clearly shown to be an equal to Aideen and Maebh, and to have a life of his own (plus standards and boundaries), Kavi is a cinnamon bun angel. I think we all require a friend like him.

There are other funny characters, like Ms Devlin (form tutor, PE teacher, English teacher, cussing feminist, and Aideen's "torturer" and possible saviour), and every single one is colourful, unforgettable, and human. Many of the main characters are passionate and work hard over something; the "slacker" D-student and truant Aideen is not exempt from this trait, though she may not believe that about herself, suffering as she is from an ebbing self-esteem.

I wish there could have been more POC representation, however. And why do all of the white characters seem to have blue eyes? Aideen, Maebh and (I think) Holly have blue eyes. Near the beginning, the former two's same eye colour is even mentioned in the same paragraph, with no hint of self-awareness whatsoever. This is utterly bizarre, especially in an otherwise self-aware and socially conscious book like this!

But regardless, 'Not My Problem' is an original teen comedy drama that is monumentally warm, lovable, life affirming, quirky without being annoying or forced, and surprisingly, necessarily distressing. As I was progressing and really getting into it, I had a few remembered flashes of terrible times in my own childhood and adolescence (school will always be associated with hell for me), and I am glad for it. 'Not My Problem' is real and relatable; I could see myself in these golden egg-hatched characters. I only wish I'd had nearly as much spunk, wit, drive, bravery and intelligence when I myself was a teenager!

In addition, 'Not My Problem' is never boring. It is never dull and frustrating. I was suffering from the worst reading slump ever, before reluctantly deciding to give books another chance and buy this one. I'm pleased I did. It is as good as practically everyone says it is.

Now I'll get onto Ciara Smyth's previous YA novel, 'The Falling in Love Montage'. Will lightning strike twice? I hope so! Let's find out.

Final Score: 4/5

EDIT: I've read 'The Falling in Love Montage', and what did I think? It's a good lesbian YA book, if inconsistent, frustrating and maddening in a few places. I can't condone its leniency towards every romcom ever made, even when it criticises some of them; and a lot of them are objectively terrible - and hideously sexist and heteronormative - films. I cringe just thinking about them. But the book is mostly great for a debut, and in my opinion the author's talent and promise is realised more fully in 'Not My Problem'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment