Friday 1 November 2013

Book Review - 'W.I.T.C.H. Series' by Elizabeth Lenhard, Various

I read these books during my girl-power-loving schoolgirl days (as yet unchanged, only now I'm thinking about the portrayal of girl power in the media through a more modern feminist lens and perspective). 

I deeply dislike the TV series, however I remember the 'W.I.T.C.H' books as being sweet, colourful, dramatic, magical, and above all heartfelt. It's mainly about friendship than anything else, and each of the main characters - who could not be any more different from one another - are flawed, likable and relatable in their own way. It's hard to pick a favourite. 

'W.I.T.C.H' is a nice mixture of real life preteen girl anxieties and magical and mysterious worlds, with expressive artwork from the original comics. It explores how five girls - Will Vandom, Irma Lair, Taranee Cook, Cornelia Hale and Hay Lin (hence the acronym W.I.T.C.H.) - who are chosen to be the Guardians of the Veil separating realms - struggle with fighting evil on top of dealing with boys, families and school. They also fight to keep their friendship alive. Their relationships felt real to me, and that's what I remember most fondly about this series. 

And whenever they transform into Guardians - with powers of Heart, Water, Fire, Earth and Air - their bodies grow older; I don't remember the artwork making them look particularly sexualized, now that I look back. But nevertheless, I enjoyed all 26 books!

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment