Monday 30 September 2013

Book Review - 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker

2021 EDIT: Alas, on my reread of this classic, I find the over-descriptions of everything to be wearisome (though it is not as bad as in 'Frankenstein,' in my opinion, which I never could finish); as is the expected sexism and racism of its era. Mina could be considered a progressive female character for her time, especially for a book of this genre, but just barely ("a man's brain", my arse; how insulting).

'Dracula' remains a horror classic for a reason, however. Therein contains chilling moments, and it is the biggest influencer of vampire lore known to humankind. Wolves, dogs, bats, rats, moths, dust, shapeshifters, flies, spiders, other dead animals, and vampires repellent to sunlight, garlic, crucifixes, non-invites, and crossing running water - it is all here. Jonathan Harker, Mina, Dr Van Helsing, Lucy Westenra, Renfield, the three vampire brides, and of course, the Count himself, are really the only characters worth remembering in the whole 400-page novel.

There are strong gay vibes throughout, as well, no matter how much Bram Stoker may dismiss the claim.

Oh how I love vampires.

Final Score: 3/5





Original Review:



After hundreds of adaptations and various cultural influences - from movies, television, books, parodies, songs to breakfast cereals - let us see the original 1897 novel that properly started the vampire lore and craze. While I am aware that 'Dracula' is not the first book or first anything to feature vampires (or similar demonic personifications of human fears), Bram Stoker's popular work has the biggest impact on the cultural phenomenon, and it helped shape vampire myths (the old movies, such as 'Nosferatu', mostly achieved that, though).

I have become increasingly interested in vampires over the years, despite never really finding them scary (and I am a huge scaredy-cat when it comes to horror stories). Maybe that's due to growing up in the 90's when they were all becoming more sympathetic and less monstrous (i.e. 'Buffy', 'Interview with the Vampire' etc). But since I'm planning to write a vampire novel series of my own someday, it's only required reading that I check out 'Dracula'.

Let us give rise to the "first" and world's most popular creature of the night, 'Dracula'.

I had the book on my shelf for a while last year, and it was only coincidence that I decided to read it just before Halloween. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I mean, I didn't find it to be VERY scary (though the creepy atmosphere is there), and it hardly features Dracula himself - he's absent through most of the middle of the novel. But with the narrative technique of people writing in diaries, letters, and newspaper articles, he remains a creepy enigma - the titular Count is a creature of mystery throughout the story: the less we know, the more we fear, much like in reality.

'Dracula' was written in the time of scientific discoveries - the supernatural being logically explained, but others things still not yet explained. It also explores basic human fears - of violent urges, madness and sexuality not repressed. 'Dracula' is about the fear of the demons in humanity as well as the fear of the demons in hell.

Each character, known through letters and diaries, is distinct and memorable. Although one in particular I feel I have to make note of is Mina Murray, or Mina Harker as she will later be called once married. It uplifted me to know that she isn't the weak and pathetic damsel-in-distress like she is portrayed in so many film adaptations. She's smart, brave when need be, and she felt real - even when she is a victim, she still refuses to give up. She's not an object of men's sexual fantasies nor a product of wispy feminine innocence - after all, that's Lucy Westenra's role - but a competent and likeable person. However I was wary when Van Helsing calls Mina, "a woman with a man's brain", or something along the lines of that. It sounds like he's saying that an intelligent woman is not a woman at all. It's a bit like saying that a woman who isn't also a mother isn't a proper woman. But I'll overlook that, since 'Dracula' was still written in 1897.

Speaking of Van Helsing, I want to add that after reading this book I find it a bit false that in adaptions he is portrayed as the ultimate vampire hunter. Because in the book, although he is a well-educated and strong leader, he is still an older, worn human physically, and - slight spoiler warning here - he doesn't end up killing Dracula. Though he kills other, lesser vamps...

'Dracula' also teaches us an important lesson - never leave a woman in the dark, both literally and figuratively. It'll lead to more trouble if she is left ignorant of goings-on. She can surprise you in her bravery and usefulness.

'Dracula' - while it didn't frighten me, it still entertained me. I'll definitely be reading more vampire books now to see how the myths and legends started by this book are taken and twisted into something new and inspiring.

How have violent and sexual attitudes changed over time? And how is popular culture reflecting them, and why? Read a vampire story and find out.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment