Sunday 28 July 2013

Neil Gaiman Book Review - 'The Graveyard Book'

2020 EDIT: Sadly, 'The Graveyard Book' is the first of my rereads of my past favourite books that I will have to retract.

It is quite boring, the chapters are way too long (especially for a book for young audiences), and there are some inconsistencies and parts that don't make sense, even for a fantasy story like this. There are elements that are kind of frustrating, such as concerning the character Silas. Adults and authority figures who are secretive for no good reason - it's always for the sake of having a mystery to the story - is a pet peeve of mine. That, and authority figures and guardians who are incompetent in their roles, because of plot convenience.

In more ways than one, I can now see how 'The Graveyard Book' was inspired by 'The Jungle Book'.

I admit to skimming; I just didn't find 'The Graveyard Book' to be as charming and interesting this time round. I didn't like the ending, either. My dislike of Neil Gaiman's works - in general, and notably in recent years - may have something to do with it, as well. In my opinion, his stories don't tend to stick with you long, or age well; it's usually great ideas, subpar/merely okay execution. Still, I love 'Coraline'.

Maybe it's me, growing older and more impatient. I still recommend 'The Graveyard Book' to anyone, and hope that they have a better experience than me.

Final Score: 3/5





Original Review:



The first Neil Gaiman novel I've ever read, and I'm glad I've finally gotten around to checking out this man's stuff.

A wonderfully written book that can be enjoyed by everyone - it really isn't just for children. There are memorable and creatively-conceived characters and set pieces, with chapters that explore the development of Bod (short for Nobody) Owens as he grows up in a graveyard inhabited by ghosts and demons. He also goes out into the world of the living sometimes - as an odd, supernatural outsider whom people barely remember after meeting.

Each chapter about Bod grips you on the edge of your seat. While I was reading I could almost feel the coldness and loneliness of the old, overgrown graveyard.

Where does Bod belong? Why did someone brutally murder his family and want him dead too, even when he was only a baby? Who is Silas (who's admittedly my least favourite character; a bit too creepy and almost nothing is revealed about him throughout the course of the story)? These questions link more to Bod as a character than to the story just for the sake of it. Not everything will have a happy or wrapped-up conclusion. Bod wants to know more about the world and himself, and he will become smarter and perhaps more frightening in life and death as he grows from boyhood and into adolescence, in spite of his good intentions. Because of this, the ending is powerfully intense.

'The Graveyard Book' - a clever, charming and creepy coming-of-age modern Gothic fairy tale that is also a little sad. Quite simply it's beautiful.

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment